What Do 65-Year-Olds Do for Fun?
At any age, boredom is unpleasant. For seniors, boredom can actually bring on more serious challenges. Seniors who are frequently bored can experience anxiety and depression due to loneliness and isolation. Here are three ideas for ways to push boredom aside:
- Be Active. Keeping your mind and body in good shape helps you feel young and energetic.
- Stay Social. Staying in contact with friends and family, leaving the house to go places you enjoy and participating in community activities are great ways to stay happy and connected.
- Try New Things. Joining a club or taking a class can challenge you to experience and learn new things. Stepping out of your comfort zone is a great way to prevent boredom!
If you are concerned that a senior loved one living at home may be bored, it is helpful to have some activities and suggestions ready to help them. If your loved one is in a senior living community, like St. Paul’s Senior Community, he or she may have more opportunities for fun than you realize!
What do 65-Year-Olds do for Fun?
If you are wondering, “what do 65-year-olds do for fun?” the answers are as varied as the seniors themselves. Some seniors fill their retirement years with travel and adventure, while others focus their time on family and friends. Some seniors are physically strong and active, while others enter their golden years with a slower stride. No matter what their exact age or abilities, here are some of the most popular ideas to help your senior loved one beat their boredom at home:
- Watch television and movies
- Spend time reading and discussing books
- Spend time outside
- Play board games or cards
- Host friends and family for mealtime
- Listen to music
- Experiment with different crafts
If you are keeping a senior engaged at home, it is important to make sure the senior is safe during all activities. Consult your loved one’s doctor before trying something new, and make sure their living space is free of hazards.
Activities for Seniors in Assisted Living
For seniors at St. Paul’s Senior Community, there are a wide variety of options for daily activities. The philosophy at all Tutera Senior Living and Health Care communities is to keep residents as busy as they want to be! This allows each individual to decide on his or her level of activity, while providing options and opportunities to learn and try new things. What specific activities and amenities are offered depends on the specific senior living community, but many around the country have a number of standard activities in common. These activities for seniors in assisted living include:
- Group exercise classes
- Art classes
- Continuing education opportunities
- Book clubs
- Walking clubs
- Gardening clubs
- Wii Sports
Finding Your Future
At Tutera’s Mission Chateau Senior Living Community, we offer the activities and services our residents want. Our community is bursting with options for fun, friendship and family-togetherness for seniors with active lifestyles. Here are some entertainment options available at Mission Chateau and other Tutera communities:
- Arts and Crafts. Drawing, clay pot painting, knitting or sewing, there is something for everyone.
- Choir. The fun with this group is pitch-perfect!
- Live Entertainment. Dancers, singers and storytellers are frequent visitors, while movie buffs can enjoy shows and discussion.
- Fitness and Fun. You can soak up the fun of the heated pool, join in an exercise class, or participate in tai-chi or yoga to keep your heart pumping.
- Games and Competitions. Word games, trivia tournaments, bridge, bingo, bunco and many other card games keep the spirit of competition high.
Want to learn more about what Tutera communities have to offer? Give us a call today at 877-988-8372 so we can answer your questions and schedule a tour of a community near you!
Learn more by clicking the links below
The Atriums Senior Living Community
Carnegie Village Senior Living Community
Mission Chateau Senior Living Community
Moweaqua Rehabilitation & Health Care Center
St. Paul's Senior Community
Tiffany Springs Senior Living Community
Victory Hills Senior Living Community