Top Gifts for Seniors with Limited Mobility
The holidays are nearly here, and soon, families everywhere will come together to celebrate, share in joy and laughter and exchange meaningful gifts.
For many people, the holidays are an opportunity to show the special people in their life just how much they mean to them. And almost always – it’s with a thoughtful gift.
We always want to find the perfect present, but finding it can sometimes be a challenge, especially if you have a loved one with limited mobility.
4 Tips for Easily Improving Limited Mobility
The word “mobility” is defined as a person’s ability to freely move from one place to another. For seniors, the loss of mobility can lead to profound consequences like a fall or worse. Unfortunately, it’s a common issue among aging adults.
Thankfully, there are some simple adjustments that seniors can make in their life that can go a long way in improving overall mobility and maximizing independence:
- Exercise regularly. Even the gentlest of exercises can go a long way in improving mobility. Popular choices include swimming, walking and ballroom dancing.
- Consider the use of a walking aid. Walking aids like a wheelchair, cane or walker are great tools for combating limited mobility. Be sure to choose an aid that will both assist and slightly challenge your loved one to prevent unnecessary reliance.
- Rearrange the living space. Pave clear walking paths throughout the home, install tools like railings and ramps and ensure all spaces are well-lit.
- Eat a healthy diet. When you maintain a healthy weight, you limit unnecessary pressure on your joints, making this the simplest adjustment for improving mobility.
For more tips on how to improve mobility, check out these simple stretching exercises.
Now that we’ve defined limited mobility and how it affects aging adults, we can examine how to go about finding great gifts for your loved one!
Keep Your Holiday Shopping on Track with 4 Simple Strategies
When exploring gift ideas for someone with mobility issues, it couldn’t hurt to ask casual questions to get an idea of what they need. For example, a great mobility gift could simply be anything that makes their life easier.
Below are 4 shopping strategies to keep in mind as you search for the perfect mobility gift:
- Consider a product that can help keep your loved one active and engaged to promote an active lifestyle.
- Look for a gift that promotes safety and security since limited mobility increases the risk of falling and injury.
- Shop for something that can simplify everyday tasks. For a senior with limited mobility, a simplifying product could eliminate unnecessary stress from their life.
- Think about thoughtful gifts that your loved one would appreciate that don’t require maintenance, like a frame or scrapbook.
Mobility challenges can occur in both the hands and the legs, so be sure you’re aware of your loved one’s specific mobility issue before making a purchase.
10 Terrific Gifts for People with Limited Mobility
Christmas is right around the corner, which means it’s time to conquer your shopping with confidence! Any of the following options below would make wonderful gift ideas for someone with limited mobility:
- Drive Medical Walker Ski Glides – An ideal stocking stuffer, this product makes using a walker easy and convenient.
- Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch Automatic Can Opener– For seniors with mobility issues in their hands, this easy to use can opener is a kitchen essential.
- Orthofeet BioSoft Padded Sole Socks – Enhance foot comfort with these anti-blister, non-constrictive super cozy socks!
- 2-Pack 32 Inch and 19 Inch Grabber Reacher with Rotating Jaw – Perfect for seniors with limited mobility in their arms, this tool can easily be stored next to your favorite chair for easy access to nearby items.
- Nixplay 10.1-inch Smart Photo Frame – Surprise your loved one with a new photo every day uploaded from your smartphone to their new smart frame. This is also a frame that the whole family can contribute to!
- RMS Folding Cane – – Quick and handy on the go, this cane is wonderful for active seniors who struggle with mobility.
- Warming Foot Massager – For seniors with limited mobility, this foot massager would be beneficial for the joints and overall blood flow.
- Shutterfly Photo Blanket – Gift your loved one a cozy blanket covered in beautiful family photos that will bring them warmth as well as nostalgia.
- Unbreakable Cup Holder – A great gift idea for someone in a wheelchair, this cup holder fully attaches to many different chair models.
- Vive Wheelchair Armrest Covers– Another great gift for a loved one in a wheelchair, these armrests provide comfortable support and prevent
About Tutera Senior Living & Health Care
At Tutera Senior Living & Health Care, we’re committed to providing seniors with quality care that supports their emotional, intellectual and physical needs. Using individualized care plans, empowering wellness programming and clinical excellence, we’re able to restore quality of life for many seniors. In our rehabilitation communities like Bethany and Fair Oaks, residents enjoy a holistic approach to healing with swift progression.
Interested in learning more about Tutera Senior Living? You can use our community finder tool to locate a community near you or call us today with any questions.
Learn more by clicking on the community links below:
Bethany Rehabilitation & Health Care Center
Carlinville Rehabilitation & Health Care Center
Carnegie Village Senior Living Community
Charlton Place Rehabilitation & Health Care Center
Coulterville Rehabilitation & Health Care Center
Crystal Pines Rehabilitation & Health Care Center
Dixon Rehabilitation & Health Care Center
Fair Oaks Rehabilitation & Health Care Center
Hamilton Memorial Rehabilitation & Health Care Center
Highland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center
Hillsboro Rehabilitation & Health Care Center
Lakeland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center
Mattoon Rehabilitation & Health Care Center
Meridian Rehabilitation & Health Care Center
Metropolis Rehabilitation & Health Care Center
Monterey Park Rehabilitation & Health Care Center
Moweaqua Rehabilitation & Health Care Center
Norterre - The Estoria
Northland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center
St. Paul's Senior Community
Stratford Commons Rehabilitation & Health Care Center
Tiffany Springs Senior Living Community
The Village at Mission Senior Living Community