As time moves forward, we all get older. The idea of getting older may have once been a frightening thought. Today the retirement years are referred to as the “golden years” of life, and older adults have opportunities, support and the time to live their best lives. In communities like Moweaqua Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, residents are encouraged to live an active lifestyle by participating in daily fitness programs, recreational activity programs and social gatherings.
Because of the wonderful opportunities now available to older adults, it is important for everyone to focus on healthy aging as the years go by. With the new year fast approaching, now is the perfect time to understand healthy, active aging and to set goals for the new year.
What is Healthy Aging?
So, what is healthy aging? Healthy aging is all about creating opportunities and environments that allow seniors to do what they value throughout their lives. Anyone and everyone can experience healthy aging because being free of disease or disability is not a requirement. The focus of healthy, active aging is for seniors to remain strong enough to:
- Meet their own basic needs
- Learn, grow and make decisions
- Remain mobile
- Build and maintain relationships
- Contribute to society
Healthy aging centers around making positive choices to feed the mind, body and emotions. The goal of healthy aging should be to maintain the person’s happiness and safety. While many older adults have a fear of aging, aging isn’t something to be feared. Aging is a journey, and each person can make that journey a positive one! Here are some healthy aging tips for seniors to consider:
Drink and eat healthy. Make healthy food choices and drink plenty of water.
Sit less, move more. An active lifestyle can help seniors manage chronic disease pain, improve balance and enhance brain health.
Avoid tobacco. It is never too late to quit smoking.
See your doctor regularly. Take an active role in preventative care, not just seeing the doctor for sick visits.
Be aware of health changes. Everyone’s body and brain change as they age. Aging well does not mean not changing through the years; it simply means being aware and proactive when changes do happen.
Health Tips for the New Year
Taking care of physical, cognitive and mental health is all important for aging well. Even making small, healthy changes can improve quality of life! In general, better health while aging can be achieved by staying active, eating and sleeping well, and going to the doctor regularly. Healthy seniors take care of their mental health by interacting with family and friends, trying to stay positive and participating in activities they enjoy.
As 2023 approaches, it is the perfect time to think about good habits to start in the new year. So, which senior health tips will best support overall healthy aging? The American Geriatrics Society recommends these health and wellness tips for seniors for the new year:
- Eat healthy. Add fruits, vegetables, fish, low-fat dairy, healthy fats and whole grains into your daily menu.
- Be active. Physical activity plays a big role in living an active lifestyle and aging well. Even mild exercise can help control weight, improve balance and improve mood. At Victory Hills Senior Living Community, residents have lots of options for staying active with friends or through their own unique fitness program.
- Slow down alcohol consumption. Drinking too much can bring on feelings of depression and increase fall risk.
- Get enough sleep. Avoiding daytime naps can help make nighttime sleep more beneficial. Being well-rested can lead to better health while aging.
- Be proactive in preventing falls. Falls are a leading cause of injuries among older adults. Taking precautions in your living space and doing exercises that improve strength and balance can help reduce fall risk.
- Talk about mental health. Mental and emotional health are important parts of aging well. Talk to loved ones and health professionals about signs of depression or anxiety.
- Exercise the mind. Use it or lose it! The more the mind is active, the stronger it stays. Make sure reading, socializing, puzzles, crafts and learning are all part of your plans for a healthy new year.
About Tutera Senior Living & Health Care
At Tutera Senior Living & Health Care, we believe each resident should receive support for their physical, emotional and intellectual needs. This approach to health and wellness treats the whole person and makes their experience at Tutera as unique as they are. Through the EmpowerMe Wellness program, each resident’s care plan is created with an integrated approach to health, focusing on one-on-one services and the wants and needs of that particular resident.
Interested in learning more about Tutera Senior Living? You can use our community finder tool to locate a community near you. Or call us today with any questions about our communities, our amenities or our care!